Trump is expected to announce his Supreme Court pick tomorrow, Monday, July 9th at 9PM. As noted in last week’s post, no Supreme Court nomination should go forward until after the election and a new Congress is seated. If you haven’t contacted your Senators yet to deliver this message, please do so.
This week the Federal government will face a deadline for reuniting families separated at the southwest border through the Trump administration’s zero tolerance policy. It is not expected to meet that deadline. We must keep public pressure on to reunite these families.
State and Local
Last week saw a lot of enthusiasm for progressive candidates at various 4th of July parades in the area. Thanks to all the volunteers who turned out to march! Please continue the important work of getting these candidates elected this Fall through canvassing, fund-raising, and other activities.
Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission proposal update: On Friday, the Michigan Supreme Court agreed to consider a legal challenge to the proposal. The court ordered a July 18 special session to hear oral arguments in the case. Each side will have 30 minutes to argue whether the proposal is a voter-initiated constitutional amendment fit for the ballot or whether it qualifies as a revision to the constitution “and therefore ineligible for placement on the ballot.”
Attorney General Bill Schuette last month urged the Michigan Supreme Court to overrule that Court of Appeals decision that the original case had no merit. Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and former U.S. Sen. Carl Levin recently filed a brief encouraging the Supreme Court to allow the measure on the ballot.
MEETINGS/TRAINING (Thanks to Linda Kristensen and The Hub – Organize for this information.)
MONDAY– July 9
VOTER REGISTRATION DEADLINE! for the August 7th primary election. Confirm that you are registered and register if you are not.
- Kent County Progressive Caucus Meeting, 6:00 P.M., Uccello’s Ristorante, 2630 East Beltline SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
- Cosecha GR Ally Training, 6:00 – 9:00 P.M., 2010 Kalamazoo Ave SE, Grand Rapids 49507
TUESDAY – July 10
- City of Grand Rapids Public Hearing Discussion, 7:00 P.M., City Hall, Calder Plaza, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
WEDNESDAY – July 11
- Kent Dems Monthly Meeting, 7:00 P.M., American Postal Workers Union, 2554 Burlingame SW, Wyoming, MI 49509
- Black Lives Matter Vigil, 12:15 – 12:45 P.M., Rosa Parks Circle, Grand Rapids, MI
THURSDAY – July 12
- Meet Bill Saxton – Candidate for State Representative District 73 and Meet Deb Havens – Candidate for Kent County Commissioner District 1, 6:00 – 9:00 P.M., Home of Pei-Lan Tsou & Mark Swain, 2077 Korben Woods Court NE, Belmont, MI 49306
- Grand Rapids United Progressives Monthly Meeting, 6:30 P.M., 1301 Brookview Dr. NE, Grand Rapids, MI
- Justice for Our Neighbors, 12:00 P.M., Grand Rapids Pride Center SE, 343 Atlas SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506
FRIDAY – July 13
- no events scheduled
SATURDAY – July 14
- Fundraiser for Robert Van Kirk, 7:00 P.M., Panda Buffet & Grill, 1038 28th St. SW, Wyoming, MI 49509
SUNDAY – July 15
- no events scheduled
On the Horizon
- Deb Havens for Kent County Commission Special Guest Brandon Dillon Chair, Michigan Democratic Party – July 17
- We Demand Kent County End the Contract with ICE – July 26
- State Primary Election – August 7