There is a Congressional recess from Feb. 17-25. Be on the lookout for town hall announcements from our members of Congress. There are PLENTY of issues to press them on: no privatization of infrastructure, protecting the dreamers, commit to not taking NRA money, etc. Show up, ask questions, let your voices be heard. It matters. November is coming.
Infrastructure week was a bust (again) as the staff scandals and the indictments released by Special Counsel Mueller’s office dominated the news. However, the busy news cycle can provide cover for worrisome activity and Trump firing Mueller is always a concern. Remain vigilant!
State and Local
The next Indivisible GR monthly meeting is next Sunday, Feb. 25th at Fountain St. Church. Come learn and mingle with your fellow resisters.
Momentum is building across the country to protest mass shootings at schools led by the inspiring students in Parkland Florida. National events are planned for March 14th and 24th and April 20th. https://www.marchforourlives.com/ Closer to home, a protest is being planned in Lansing on February 22 from 10-2 at the state capital. http://www.rallylist.com/rally-for-common-sense-gun-violen…/
The Indivisible GR mid-term election guide available for your use. Download it today (click on Files on the left side of the page and click the link) and use it to get involved in this important election year.
MEETINGS/TRAINING (Thanks to Linda Kristensen, The Hub – Organize and Kent County Dems for much of this information!)
TUESDAY – February 20
- Deconstructing Racism: Forging Black/White, 6:30 – 9 pm, Seven Steps Up, 116 S. Jackson St., Spring Lake, MI 49456
- Speak Up GR: Individual Rights and Communication, 7 pm, Grand Rapids Public Library, 111 Library St. NE
WEDNESDAY – February 21
- Promote the Vote – Kick-Off, 6 – 8 pm, Wealthy Theater Annex, 1130 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506
THURSDAY – February 22
- Beer and Banter with Congressional candidate Nick Schiller, 6-9 pm, White Flame Brewing Co., 5234 36th Ave, Hudsonville, 49426, register at: www.NickSchiller.com/register
- Rally for common sense gun violence protection, 10-2, Michigan State Capitol, 110 N. Capitol Ave, Lansing MI 48933
- Progressive Groups Mixer – All Welcome, 6 pm, Frankie V’s Pizzeria & Sports
- February GR Rapid Response to ICE Training, 6:30 – 8:30 pm, Line Up, 1167 Madison Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49507
SATURDAY – February 24
- Black Family History Series, 10:30 – 11:30 am, Grand Rapids Public Library – Main Branch, 111 Library NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Rally for Abdul El-Sayed, 12 pm, Corner of 28th St. and Eastern
- West Michigan Gubernatorial Candidate Forum, 2 – 5 pm, UAW, 3315 Eastern Ave SE., Grand Rapids, Michigan 49508
SUNDAY, February 25
- Indivisible Grand Rapids Meeting, Speaker: Sharon Dolente from ACLU, Time: 4 – 5:30 pm, Fountain Street Church, 24 Fountain NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
On the Horizon
- GVSU Town Hall with Abdul El-Sayed for Governor – Mar 14
– Tell your state representative to oppose SB 652-654 which give veto power over the Department of Environmental Quality to polluting industries
– Urge Senators Stabenow and Peters and Rep. Amash to support a clean Dream Act
– Tell Senators Stabenow and Peters to oppose H.R. 620 which weakens the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
– Tell your state representative to support HB 5238 to allow school districts to undertake needed energy efficiency projects
– Urge Governor Snyder to veto SB 574 to prevent tax dollars from to for-profit educational institutions